Monday, December 27, 2010

Floral Design Class: Scalene and Vertical

One of the other styles we tackled in our advanced class was the Scalene Triangle design.  We had a lot of different flowers and greens to choose from, thanks to Carol and to other classmates with overflowing gardens of their own.  I used yellow gladiolus and some sort of fern to make the basic frame and I used some form of oregano (I believe that's what it was...) and misty to fill in a little of the negative space.  I liked the overall dramatic look of it and had fun watching my gladiolus open over the week.
Scalene
And now for the design I battled with.  I don't know why, but I had a lot of trouble with the vertical arrangement.  Maybe it was a bad night, maybe I was tired, or maybe I just need more practice with it, but I was frustrated with my result.  We used myrtle and swordfern and [insert name of unidentifiable purple line flower seen here! Anyone know?] to make the vertical frame and used carnations and pom-pons to draw the eye up.  Amaranthus, pittosporum, and leatherleaf helped to frame the bowl.  I'm not sure, I can't put my finger on what I don't like.  The amaranthus look whimpy, that's for sure.
Vertical

No comments: