Monday, December 27, 2010

Weekend Farmer's Market: Gerberas and Carnations

I make it a habit to visit the farmer's market every weekend to buy some fresh veggies and to check out any flowers.  I'm not sure what farm I keep buying from because they don't have a poster or banner up, but they have had some really beautiful and reasonably priced flowers for sale.  For some reason a white, yellow, and pink color palette really appealed to me that day because I picked up bunches of carnations and gerbera daisies and made my way home.  I was able to get three different arrangements out of the bunches I purchased and my home was very colorful and cheery for the rest of the week.  I did a little free-standing, no foam table arrangement.  I also added some gyp and alstroemeria.  Let me just say that I never can get alstroemeria to cooperate with me and it never lasts long.  I have classmates who say that they can get theirs to last for a week and on day five mine all fall apart.  Any tips?  Maybe I mixed them with some other flower that repels them.  Who knows.  The one thing that I learned from this weekend was that I need to buy less mass and focal point flowers and more green and filler.  I get so excited by the big, showpiece flowers that I buy too many and they just overpower each other and end up getting squashed together.
Gerberas and Carnations
Here's another view of it sitting on the coffee table.
Coffee Table View
I also got to practice a foam design at home.  This was the first time using foam outside of the floral design workshops and I'd say it was positive.  I still don't really like using foam, but it's definitely needed sometimes.
More Gerbera s and Carnations
And last, I stuck whatever I had left in a vase and called it a day.
Gerberas and Carnations in a vase

No comments: