Monday, December 27, 2010

Floral Design Class: Wedding Flowers

During the beginning of the summer Delta offered a Wedding Flowers workshop that I jumped at the chance to take. It was a packed class with lots of ladies looking to do flowers for their own weddings, so it was fun to hear about all of their ideas.  We had four classes where we learned about the varying parts of doing flowers for a wedding and we got to make a wedding bouquet and a centerpiece.  Carol brought in all white flowers for the bouquet and I think all of the ladies in the class squealed when we saw them.  We were all saps.  She had roses, hydrangeas, carnations, stock, peonies, alstroemeria, and--as an expensive treat--we all got one stephanotis each.
This was my first try at a bouquet with the Oasis bouquet holder, and I've got to say that I prefer a hand-tied bouquet.  Hand-tied bouquets look so much more natural, and while the Oasis holder will help it to last longer, I think the holder just takes away from the overall look and feel.  Here is the bird's eye view.  It looks like a star!  I'm sure if we all had more flowers our bouquets would come out much fuller, but everyone did a great job and it smelled amazing in the classroom.
White Wedding Bouquet
And here's a side view.  I used oregano to fill in the gaps since we didn't have enough flowers to fill our bouquets entirely out, but I kind of like it. 
White Wedding Bouquet
Another week we got to do a small wedding centerpiece.  Carol brought in classic red and white flowers and tall vases for us to set our pieces on.  I didn't get a picture, but it was a nice chance to see how adding height to an arrangement can really change it.  I wasn't in love with my outcome, but I'm sure with practice I'll find what I like best.
Wedding Centerpiece

No comments: