Monday, December 27, 2010

Wedding Lab Madness

One day a few weeks ago, an acquaintance of Carol's came knocking at Carol's front door asking for some help with her daughter's wedding flowers.  Carol replied that she no longer did weddings, but she had a whole class of students who would jump at the chance to do a wedding--and so tonight about 15 people crammed into our floral classroom and proceeded to arrange like crazy.  There were 30 large centerpieces, all of the personal flowers, plus pomanders and more.  All together 400 people are going to be attending this wedding on Saturday.  To say the least, I think we were all surprised at what a huge event it turned out to be!  There were roses, calla lilies, hydrangea, bells of ireland, gyp, leatherleaf, gladiolus, waxflower, heather, hypericum, amaranthus, snapdragons, larkspur, and oh my god the list goes on.  It smelled amazing in that room, though it was hot with all of us designing our brains away. 
Carol assigned me to the bridesmaid's bouquets, and to be honest, I was petrified.  I was definitely slow at first, but I picked up momentum and got some greatly appreciated help from another classmate.  I loved how they turned out and I wish I could see them on the big day.  The bride herself along with bridesmaids and family members helped out--and they were extremely lovely people.  I know the wedding will be gorgeous and perfect.  And so now, here follows a crazy amount of pictures.  Darn the iPhone for taking blurry pictures, it does not do the flowers justice. 

Bridesmaids' Bouquets


Two of the bridesmaids' bouquets.  Let me tell you, they smelled amazing.

Single Bridesmaid Bouquet


More Bridesmaids' Bouquets


Even More Bridesmaids' Bouquets


Like the fancy beakers we used to hold the bouquets up?

And yes...more


Yep!


Had enough of these?  Okay, let's go on to all of the other gorgeous arrangements done by my other classmates and the bridal party.

Personal Flowers


Blurry boutonnieres and corsages done by two very talented classmates.

Groom's Boutonniere


I really especially loved the groom's boutonniere.  Look at that detail.

Centerpiece


One of the many centerpieces.  I love the colors.

More Centerpieces


More centerpieces!

Bridal Bouquet


And the Bride's bouquet...with Crowning Glory.

Birdseye of Bridal Bouquet


Birdseye view of the Bride's bouquet, minus the Crowning Glory spray this time.

Toss Bouquet


The Bride's toss bouquet.  The Bride said it was just too cute to have to toss!

One Last Centerpiece


Another gorgeous centerpiece.

Phew...


And lastly, a fraction of the centerpieces lined up in the back lab storeroom. Holy moly!
All in all, it was an amazing night and though I felt like I definitely was too slow I know that practice makes perfect and I'll get there.  Here's to lots more practice.  Thank you, thank you to all of the family for letting us do your flowers.

No comments: